Sailor shirts, striped sweaters, Breton knits, nautical tops, marinière sweaters...whatever you call them, I can't get enough of horizontally striped shirts. French sailors did it first, but Coco Chanel made it chic in her 1917 nautical collection.
Effortless yet classic, stripe shirts will always be in style, and they are a no-brainer wardrobe staple. I often reach for mine because they're so comfortable. If you're on the lookout for well-made striped shirts and sweaters, I rounded up the best ethical and sustainable fashion brands making them.
When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
Best Fashion Brands for Striped Shirts
Some of the brands below also have Breton shirts for men and children.
- SAINT JAMES - A heritage clothing brand known for making authentic Breton shirts. They were founded in 1889 in Normandy, France, originally producing wool clothing for sailors. The Breton shirt was originally worn by sailors in Brittany, but Saint James was the first to produce it for the general public. Saint James still makes their core collection in their Normandy factory from wool or GOTs-certified cotton.
- ARMOR-LUX - A French fashion brand founded in 1938 known for its high-quality Breton striped shirts and nautical-inspired clothing. Armor-Lux has a strong heritage and commitment to sustainable and ethical production practices, with a focus on using natural materials and local manufacturing. They can custom design your own Breton shirt embroidered with your name.
- SEZANE - A French fashion brand founded in 2013 known for its chic and timeless designs. They have a strong focus on sustainability, using eco-friendly materials and promoting responsible production practices.
- AYR - Short for "All Year Round," this New York-based fashion brand specializes in timeless, versatile wardrobe essentials for women and men. The brand offers a curated collection of high-quality denim, chic separates, and effortless dresses focusing on minimalist design and impeccable fit. They make their clothes in small batches.
- REFORMATION - A sustainable American fashion brand of stylish women's clothing. Using eco-friendly materials and production practices, they aim to minimize their environmental impact while promoting ethical and socially responsible fashion.
- NAADAM - A direct-to-consumer fashion brand based in the US. The founders were inspired by the beauty of Mongolia's Gobi Desert, where the world's finest cashmere is produced. NAADAM works directly with herders to ensure they are paid fair prices while selling premium cashmere clothing for less.
- CIAO LUCIA - A Californian brand of elevated basics and resort-inspired pieces designed to be comfortable and easy to wear. They produced their clothing in family-owned factories in Los Angeles and in Italy, where the founder has family roots.
Check out my master list of direct-to-consumer fashion brands.
Let us know in the comments below your favorite sustainable Breton pieces or brands.