When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
I generally avoid shopping online at non-Canadian sites because the duty and customs fees can be ridiculously high. To spare you fellow Canucks the pain of spending more than the poor loonie can stretch, I've compiled a master list of fantastic ethical and sustainable Canadian brands and retailers. Please note that not every brand is sustainable, so please do your own research.
I'm happy to see that many Canadian designers are focused on using natural fibres such as linen and organic cotton—machine washable! I also see a pattern in terms of design: feminine, comfortable, minimalist, reflective of our unfussy elegance.
While most the brands make womenswear, I note when brands also make men's and children's clothes. I also note when brands offer plus sizes beyond XL.
Sustainable Canadian Clothing Brands
- KOTN — Ethically-made quality basics. B Corporation. Sizes up to XXL. Also offers men's clothing.
- Frank and Oak — Canadian-designed minimalist fashion, made locally or ethically abroad. Also offers men's clothing.
- Tamga Designs — Colourful sustainable clothes and accessories made ethically abroad. Based in Aurora, Ontario.
- Encircled — Minimalist, multi-functional clothing made in Canada. B Corporation. Sizes up to XXL.
- The Good Tee — Fair Trade organic cotton T-shirts and basics. Also offers baby, children, and men's clothing.
- tentree — B.C.-based B-corporation that makes comfortable, functional clothes and accessories with sustainable fabrics. Also offers men's and kids' clothing.
- Simone Rose — Quality basics. Small batch and made to order in Toronto.
- Rightful Owner — Colourful, romantic pieces made in Montreal. Sizes up to 3x and offers custom sizes.
- Eliza Faulkner — Contemporary clothes designed and ethically manufactured in Montreal. Sizes up to XXL.
- Smythe — Canadian ready-to-wear brand known for their high quality blazers. Some pieces have sizes up to 16.
- Gaia & Dubos — Clothes and accessories handcrafted in Quebec with eco-friendly materials. Some pieces up to Size 18. Also offers men's clothing.
- Priory — Vancouver-based shop for womenswear and accessories, designed for comfort, quality, and functionality.
- Amanda Moss — Minimalist contemporary clothes made in small, ethically managed workshops in Montreal.
- Frere du Nord — Sustainable Luxury Leisurewear made in their own factory in Oshawa. Unisex.
- Soft Focus — Chic, comfy loungewear made from natural and plant-based fabrics. Sizes up to 2X.
- Okayok — Toronto-based clothing and accessories brand for casual wear. Also offers kid's clothing. Sizes up to 2X.
- Meg — Locally made, women run independent clothing line with stores in Toronto and New York.
- Birds of North America — Made in Canada clothing with bold and colourful prints. Sizes up to 18.
- Betina Lou — Simple and timeless casual pieces. This Montreal brand also stocks other ethical labels. Also offers men's clothing.
- Thief & Bandit — Seasonless and capsule clothes made to order in Canada.
- Cherry Velvet Dresses —Canadian-made retro-inspired dresses with sizes up to 3X.
- Ursa Minor — High quality minimalist clothing with natural fibres, made in Montreal.
- Ovate — Elegant monochrome pieces handmade in Montreal.
- Noémiah — Playful clothes and accessories made in Montreal with sustainable materials.
- Eve Gravel — 15-year-old Montreal brand known for casual feminity. Stocked around the world.
- Miik — Sustainable and comfortable clothing that transitions well from work to weekend. Sizes up to XXL.
- Power of My People — Made in Canada clothing brand based in New Westminster, BC with a focus on men and women's button-up shirts. Sizes up to 3XL for women.
- Free Label — Consciously made basics from B.C. Sizes up to 4XL.
- Obakki — Effortless, modern styles from Vancouver. Also offers men's clothing, accessories, beauty products, homeware, and more.
- Hannah Isolde — Vintage-inspired small-batch and made-to-order clothes by a Montreal designer. Sizes can be made to measure.
- Horses Atelier — Jumpsuits and other apparel made in Toronto.
- Preloved — Comfortable clothes made in Canada with upcycled and deadstock materials. Sizes up to XXL.
- Meemoza — Casual chic clothing made in Montreal using sustainable fabrics.
- Jennifer Glasgow — Minimalist femininity made in Quebec with sustainable fabrics.
- Uniform Handmade — Sustainable slow fashion pieces hand made by the designer in Fraser Valley, BC with natural fibers such as linen and silk. Sizes up to 3X
- Yoga Jeans — Handcrafted jeans in their own factory in Quebec with eco-friendly practices.
- Franc – Modern women's basics ethically made in Canada. Sizes up to 3XL.
- Brenda Beddome — Canadian-made womenswear focused on the perfect fit. They use eco-friendly fabrics.
- Ends in Astrid — Toronto sustainable fashion brand ethically made with high quality natural fabrics, with option to have your garment customized.
- Andree Jaipur — Canadian line of artisan clothing handmade in India.
- Norden Project — Outerwear for men and women made with recycled plastics. B corp. Based in Montreal.
- Buttercream Clothing —Comfortable clothing made in Calgary. Size inclusive - XS - 3X. Also offers some men's clothing.
- Muttonhead — Unisex clothing that fits XS - XXL. Designed and manufactured in North America. Also stocks personal care.
- Hernest Project — Comfortable sleep and loungewear basics made with eco-friendly fabrics. Offers sizes up to 4XL.
- Terrera — Sustainable comfortable basics for men and women. Sizes up to XXL.
- La Reyna — Body suits made in Canada.
- La Leur — Timeless luxury clothing and accessories made in Toronto.
- Stika — Organic cotton hoodies, crews, and other basics for women and men.
Sustainable Canadian Retailers
- Victoire Boutique — Online and brick-and-mortar retailer stocking Canadian designers.
- One of a Few — Vancouver-based retailer stocking many small-batch and locally-made clothing, footwear, and accessories.
- Simons — The popular Canadian retailer has a curated section called "Vision" for sustainable fashion for men and women, as well as home goods.
- New Classics — online retailer based in Edmonton stocking cool sustainable brands.
- SSENSE — Montreal-based luxury fashion platform. Find Nanushka, Re/Done, Veja, Ganni, and other ethical brands.
- H Project — Luxury retailer Holt Renfrew's curated collection of socially conscious clothing and products.
- Ease — Modern slow fashion; stocks quirky indie designers.
- ad hoc — Clothing boutique based in penticton, bc that carries clothing, shoes & accessories created by independent designers & artisans.
- INLAND — In partnership with Hudson's Bay, Inland's new online shop curates sustainable pieces from Canadian designers.
- allTRUEist — Quebec retail shop stocking well-made purses, shoes, some clothing, and accessories for women and men.
- Sunja Link Body Shoppe — A body care shop that also stocks ethical clothing and lingerie.
Canadian Consignment Stores
- VSP Consignment — Contemporary designer brands on consignment online and in stores in Toronto and Calgary.
- Deuxième Édition — Montreal-based online consignment store for designer clothes and accessories.
- Haute Classics — Designer purses on consignment, based in Toronto.
- My Luxury Closet — Designer apparel, handbags, footwear, jewlery, and accessories.
Sustainable Canadian Shoe Brands
- La Canadienne — Montreal footwear handmade in Canada and Italy.
- Maguire — Shoes and accessories designed in Montreal and made in ethical factories around the world.
- Thesus — Footwear with a focus on boots. Traceable, sustainable and vegan.
- Poppy Barley — Ethically made leather shoes.
- SOULiers Studios — Ethical online retailer of vegan shoes.
Sustainable Canadian Lingerie
- Azura Bay — Winnipeg-based online retailer of ethical and eco-friendly lingerie and sleepwear.
- Maylyn & Co. — Luxurious sustainable sleepwear that gives back. Use code ANNIE for 10% off.
- Mary Young — Comfortable lingerie designed in Toronto and made in Montreal. Sizes up to 2XL.
- Blush Lingerie — Montreal-based lingerie brand.
- Fortnight — Lingerie and swimsuits handcrafted in Toronto.
- Sokoloff Lingerie — Feminine lingerie made in Montreal by women.
- Lola & August — Online luxury lingerie handmade in Canada.
- Loretta —Elegant lingerie handmade in Toronto using overstock material from Canadian and Parisian couture houses.
- Friday Sock Co. — Fun mismatched socks designed in Canada, made ethically in Italy.
Sustainable Canadian Swimwear
- Bikini Empire – Comfortable swimwear made in Vancouver.
- Beth Richards — Modern Swimwear ethically manufactured in Canada, using some sustainable fabrics.
- Minnow — Swimsuits made to order in Toronto. Sizes up to XXXL.
- Saltwater Collective — Swimwear made from recycled/sustainable fabrics. Made in Toronto. Sizes up to 2XL.
- Nettle's Tale Swimwear — Size-inclusive Canadian-made swimwear and apparel. Some pieces up to 3XL.
- Londre — Swimwear made in Canada with sustainable fabrics. Sizes up to 5XL.
- Unika Custom Swimwear — Made in their Toronto storefront with sustainable fabrics. Sizes up to 4XL or can make custom pieces.
- 437 — Toronto label for luxury swimwear and loungewear. Ethically made in a female-owned factory in China.
- Mimi & August — Eco-friendly swimwear in fun prints for all body types, up to 4XL. Also sells clothing, accessories, home goods, vintage, and more.
Sustainable Canadian Activewear
- Inner Fire — Yoga wear made from recycled polyester. Sizes up to XXL.
- Karma Athletics — Athletic wear made in Canada.
- Prana Vida — Eco-conscious leggings and comfy basics. Maternity friendly. Sizes up to XXL.
- Daub — Canadian-made activewear and apparel hand dyed and in small batches.
Sustainable Canadian Bags and Purses
- Wearshop — Sustainably-minded bag and accessory brand from Montreal.
- Opelle — Buttery leather purses made in their Toronto atelier.
- Uppdoo — Leather bags designed and handmade in Toronto.
- Sonya Lee — Vancouver brand of elevated leather accessories.
- Eleven Thirty — Handmade leather bags from Toronto.
- Erin Templeton — Purses with new and recycled leather, made in Vancouver.
- Hoi Bo — Unique bags made to last, handmade in Toronto.
- Lambert — Montreal line of multi-functional vegan backpacks and purses.
- Lowell Mtl — Bags and accessories made in Montreal.
- ai — a Toronto-based family-run brand that works with small-batch production in Seoul to make vegan bags and accessories.
- Annouis — Made-to-order leather purses in Montreal.
- 457 Anew — Bags and apparel made in Montreal from recycled and sustainable materials.
- Samara — Bags made from vegan leather and recycled ocean plastics.
Sustainable Canadian Accessories
- Warby Parker – Direct-to-consumer eyeglasses and sunglasses with a social mission. Has stores in Canada and the US.
- Solios — Sustainable and solar powered watches. A certified B Corp.
- Bronze Age — Made-to-order accessories and conscious fashion based in Vancouver. Hand made in Canada and Morrocco.
- Krista Norris — Unique shawls made in Canada.
- June — Online retailer of woven bags and simple, beautiful home goods.
- Chapeaux Heirloom Hats — Hats, visors and headbands handmade in Montreal.
- Coup de Tête — Bespoke hats made from vegetable tanned leather.
- Cambio & Co. — Toronto-based online retailer offering bags, jewelry and gifts designed and handcrafted in the Philippines.
- Baltic Marché — Online store of eco-friendly and zero waste home essentials.
- Easy Tiger Goods — Toronto shop for skincare, accessories, artwork, home goods, and more.
- Mejuri — Popular minimalist fine jewelry and accessories brand. They have a showroom in Toronto at 906 Dundas St. W. Here's my honest review of Mejuri jewlery.
- Bluboho — Toronto retailer of ethically sourced jewelry, online and brick-and-mortar locations.
- Wolf Circus — Demi-fine jewelry thoughtfully designed and hand made in Vancouver.
- Kind Karma — Employs at-risk and transitioning homeless youth to handcraft quality jewelry.
- Ecksand — Artisan jewelry using conflict-free stones and recycled gold, made in Montreal.
- Chayle Jewelry — Nature-inspired jewelry made with Fair Trade gems and recycled metal.
Shop with No Extra Duty Fees
- MatchesFashion — London-based global luxury retailer. Find Ace & Jig, Stella McCartney, Castañer, and others.
- Farfetch — Global online luxury retailer. Find Castañer, Manu Atelier, Rachel Comey, Re/Done, 3x1, Lemlem, and other ethical brands here.
- Ebay — Be doubly sustainable by buying secondhand ethical designer here. Search and save the brands you're looking for on the site and app. Duties are often calculated and paid for beforehand. Otherwise, buy from local sellers to avoid duties.