Price can be a huge deterrent for many people when it comes to switching over to ethical and sustainable fashion. In compiling this master list of affordable ethical fashion brands, I was surprised by how many options we now have across different countries.
Many brands are still online only, using the direct-to-consumer model, which allows them to pass on the savings to us by cutting out the middleman.
While we can’t expect the dirt-cheap prices of fast fashion, sustainable fashion pieces of $50 to $150 are reasonable price points when investing in quality items on a budget. If you have a lower budget than that, I always recommend thrifting or buying secondhand clothes online. I've thrifted cool stuff from $10 to $30.
Remember that just because something is affordable doesn’t mean you need to buy it. Consider how many wears you can get out of an item—aim for at least 30—and whether it’s really your style.
When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
Affordable Ethical and Sustainable Fashion Brands
- EVERLANE (US) – A lot of my basics are from Everlane. It’s easy to build a good quality capsule wardrobe with their items.
- FRANK AND OAK (Canada) – Sustainable label of quality wardrobe basics using eco-conscious materials.
- MATA TRADERS (US) – Vintage-inspired, fair trade fashion made in India and Nepal. Lots of dresses under $100 and a sale section.
- PASSION LILIE (US) – Fashion designed in New Orleans and made in fair trade factories in India. Many items seem to be under $85, and they have a great sale section.
- VETTA (US) – Versatile and sustainable capsule wardrobe essentials.
- KOTN (Canada) – Ethically-made quality basics. B Corporation.
- TAMGA DESIGNS (Canada) – Colourful, sustainable clothes and accessories made ethically abroad.
- DOODLAGE (India) – Upcycled and recycled clothing.
- THE SUMMER HOUSE (India) – Sustainable clothes, swimwear, and homeware made in India.
- NO NASTIES (India) – Organic fair-trade cotton clothing.
- REFORMATION (US) – Reformation is popular for its sexy sustainable dresses, which are usually over $150, but they have relatively affordable denim and tops. Look out for the occasional sale.
- KNOWN SUPPLY (US) – Quality tees that you can customize, made in ethical factories abroad.
- KROCHET KIDS (US) – Clothes, knitwear, and accessories ethically made abroad.
- THOUGHT CLOTHING (UK) – Sustainable clothes, socks, loungewear.
- SIIZU (US) – Ethical fashion, jewelry, and homeware.
- SYMBOLOGY (US) – Feminine fashion designed in the US and ethically made in India. While their regular pieces are from $140-$180, they do have a sale section with great dresses under $120.
- TONLÉ (US) – Zero waste fashion made in an ethical factory in Cambodia.
- SYNERGY CLOTHING (US) – Sustainable and organic fair trade clothing made in Nepal and India. A B Corp.
- LIZ ALIG (US) – Fair trade fashion made with recycled and sustainable materials. Dresses and jumpsuits under $120, and they have a good sale section.
- GROCERIES APPAREL (US) – Casualwear made with organic or recycled fabrics.
- MARCELLA MODA (Bulgaria) – Minimalist, effortless clothing made ethically in Bulgaria.
- SIMONE’S ROSE (Canada) – Sustainable fashion made in the designer’s Canadian studio.
- SEAMSFRIENDLY (India) — Custom fit, made-to-order clothing with sustainable and natural materials.
Affordable Ethical Fashion Retailers
- ASOS RESPONSIBLE EDIT (UK) – The popular online fashion retailer has a Responsible Edit of sustainable clothing.
- ECOVIBE APPAREL (US) – Affordable ethical online retailer for apparel, home decor, and more.
- ASH & ROSE (US) – Online retailer of curated ethical fashion and accessories.
Affordable Secondhand and Upcycled Fashion
- THREDUP (US) – Fashion resale website for consumers to buy and sell secondhand clothing online. Ships to US and now Canada. A lot of options and very affordable. Tip: do a search for your favorite mid to high-end label and the category you’re looking for, ex: “J.Crew blazer,” “Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress,” etc., or shop by brand.
- VESTAIRE COLLECTIVE (different countries) – Authenticated pre-owned luxury fashion from sellers around the world. Shipping fees depend on where the seller is from.
- URBAN OUTFITTERS VINTAGE (US) – The trendy retailer’s vintage section, often up-cycled.
- EBAY (different countries) – I use this online auction site to buy designer fashion and pricier ethical fashion. If there’s a specific item or brand you want to keep an eye on, save your searches, and keep an eye out. I like to use the Ebay app for this.
- ETSY (different countries) – Handmade and vintage goods from different sellers. The choices can be intimidating. Here are some affordable vintage sellers I follow: Granta and Garbo, SL Vintage, Time Travel Fashions.
- ASOS VINTAGE (different countries) – Rare clothing and accessories from boutiques around the world is ASOS’ online marketplace. Search boutique by your country on the lefthand side.
- SWAP.COM (US) – The largest online consignment and thrift store for women’s and men’s apparel, baby, kids’ items, and accessories. Note they only ship within US for now.
- RENT THE RUNWAY (US) – Rent clothes for special occasions with the option to buy what you rent at a discount. Their sale section also allows you to own previous rentals.
Here are my 7 favorite thrifting apps.
Affordable Sustainable Lingerie and Sleepwear
- PACT (US) – Fair trade underwear and clothes made with organic cotton.
- ORGANIC BASICS (Denmark) – Women and men’s underwear made from organic cotton.
- UYE SURANA (US) – Delicate lingerie handmade in NYC. Each piece is usually $50-$75. Has a sale section.
Affordable Sustainable Activewear and Loungewear
- GIRLFRIEND COLLECTIVE (US) – Eco-friendly activewear made from recycled bottles.
- ATHLETA (US) – Big fitness brand owned by Gap, but they are a B Corp and 60% of their materials are made with sustainable fibers.
- ALTERNATIVE APPAREL (US) – Responsibly made basics, loungewear, and activewear made with organic cotton or recycled polyester.
- MIAKODA (US) – Fair trade and sustainable fashion made in NYC!
- OUTDOOR VOICES (US) – Ethical brand with some sustainable fabrics.
Affordable Sustainable Swimwear
- SUMMERSALT (US) – Direct-to-consumer designer swimwear using recycled materials and packaging.
- HACKWITH DESIGN HOUSE (US) – Swimwear made with recycled fibers in Minnesota.
- BIKINI EMPIRE (Canada) – Comfortable swimwear made in Vancouver.
- SWOON SWIMWEAR (US) – Reversible Swimwear made in the US.
Affordable Sustainable Shoes
- MATISSE FOOTWEAR (US) – Shoes made with fair labor standards and a penchant for small-scale artisanal production in family-owned factories. Options for vegan shoes.
- ABLE (US) – Ethically made shoes, bags, jewelry, and accessories.
- CASTANER (different countries) – Classic Espadrilles from the famed Spanish label. I buy from MatchesFashion as a Canadian because duties are included in the price.
- ROTHY’S (US) – Washable, woven flats made from recycled plastic.
- ALLBIRDS (different countries) – Comfortable walking shoes made with natural and recycled materials. B Corporation.
- VEJAS (US) – Sneakers made from organic or recycled and fairly traded cotton for the canvas of the shoes and wild & fairly traded rubber for the soles. Recycled plastic bottles are also used to create technological fabrics. All products are made in a high-standard factory in Brazil.
Affordable Sustainable Jewelry
- CATBIRD (US) – Ethically sourced jewelry made in Brooklyn. Price range varies and there are plenty of pieces under $150.
- KIND KARMA (Canada) – Employs at-risk and transitioning homeless youth to handcraft quality jewelry.
- MEJURI (US & Canada) – Direct-to-consumer jewelry and accessories.
- BY / NATALIE FRIGO (US) – Gorgeous jewelry made with recycled material and ethically-sourced gems, handcrafted by Natalie in her US studio.
Affordable Sustainable Bags and Accessories
- PALA (UK) – Sustainable sunglass brand that gives back.
- WARBY PARKER (US & Canada) – Direct-to-consumer eyeglasses and sunglasses with a social mission.
- CUYANA (US) – Timeless apparel and accessories. Get their leather goods monogrammed.
- BAGGU (US) – Trendy reusable bags, backpacks, totes, and more.
- MOTHER ERTH (US) – Eco-friendly and upcycled bags.
- ROUND + SQUARE (US) – Conscious fashion brand with a focus of scarves and shawls.
Affordable Sustainable Gifts
- ACCOMPANY (US) – Conscious online retail shop for fashion, homeware, and gifts.
- MADE TRADE (US) – Ethical home goods, sustainable fashion, fair trade gifts.
- WOOL AND THE GANG (US) – Fun knit kits and patterns for the ethical knitter. Responsibly sourced wool.
- FRIDAY PATTERN COMPANY (US) – Contemporary sewing patterns for DIYers.
- UNCOMMON GOODS (US) – search “made in USA” or country of choice for locally made gifts.
- THE LITTLE MARKET (US) – Fair trade home decor, accessories, and gifts. A nonprofit with gifts for every occasion.
- PARGAARD (Denmark) – Eco-friendly fashion and zero waste products.
Are we missing any other affordable sustainable fashion brands? Let us know in the comments below.