When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
Sophisticated Dark Academia Outfit
I'm a fan of the dark academia aesthetic, but I also don't want to look too much like a schoolgirl. So here's a grownup version of this look; all the black keeps it more sophisticated. As usual, the pieces recommended are from ethical/sustainable fashion brands.
- White Oxford Shirt. Everlane makes a Relaxed Oxford Shirt with organic cotton in different colors.
- Black Turtleneck/Mockneck Sweater. Let the untucked Oxford shirt tails peak through. See sustainable turtlenecks from Frank and Oak, Everlane, and Reformation.
- Black '60s inspired Mini Skirt. Go luxe with an Italian cotton velvet skirt from Dôen's Heirloom collection. This is also a fairy simple piece to thrift.
- Grey Herringbone Blazer. Everlane has a roomy, menswear-inspired oversized blazer.
- Black Tights. Swedish Stockings are made from recycled material.
- Loafers. I like these preppy leather loafers from Sèzane.
- Black Shoulder Bag. Go quiet luxury with black leather and gold hardware like The Tokyo bag from DeMellier.
- Gold Hoop Earrings. Subtly match the gold hardware on the purse with classic hoop earrings made from recycled brass.
- Liquid Eyeliner. This outfit would go well with cat-eye liner.
- Cream Blush. I also use Tata Harper's Cream Blush in Flirty as a lip stain.
- In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri. The Pulitzer Prize winner's bilingual memoir on her love for the Italian language.
Check out my other timeless ethical outfits for inspiration on how to build a capsule wardrobe.